Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chop Chop Gaucamole with Fresh Basil


I am in love with guacamole! I didn't use to be...the greenish blob that often arrived at many restaurants was just not that appealing to me and so I simply pushed it aside without even trying it. But on a trip to Mexico a few years ago I was served a colourful, chunky guacamole that was so fresh looking I had to try it. It won me over and  since then I have tried many a recipe, eventually coming up with my own favourite interpretation...the secret is in the basil...give it a try! 

*an original recipe by Mary Follo

Ingredients:
2 tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped red onion (optional)
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
2 ripe avocados
6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
good pinch kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste



Directions:
-finely chop tomatoes and add to a  medium serving bowl
-add minced garlic, onion, lime and lemon juice and olive oil
-cut avocados in half, remove pit, scoop out flesh, dice it and add it to the bowl
-add basil, salt and pepper and gently mix together with a spoon to blend ingredients well
-taste and adjust seasoning if needed, cover with seran wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavours to meld
-serve with tortilla chips of choice and enjoy!

*here's another  great use for this guacamole:  cut a  fresh croissant in half and spoon some guacamole on it...enjoy it as a delicious lunch sandwich!

*makes about 2 1/2 cups
*serves 8+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment